I love Italian food: Pizza, Pasta, Antipasti. But there is only one thing I love more: self made Italian food! I prefer to make the pasta sauce myself for only then I know what it is really made of. Last weekend it was Pasta alla carbonara.
If you go out for a good pasta alla carbonara it is really hard to find here in Germany. Here the sauce is made of cream and ham, whereas the Italian original contains bacon and eggs and no cream at all. As a typical Italian workers dish, cream is very unlikely to find it in it I think.
I try to stick to the Italian recipe which contains:
400 gr. Pasta (100gr. p.p., if you eat pasta, you are NOT on a diet!) ; )
200 gr. Pancetta
4 eggs (one egg p.p.)
100 gr. grated Parmesan
- Cook the pasta until it’s al dente
- Mix the eggs and the cheese in a bowl, add pepper
- Fry the bacon until it’s crispy
- When the pasta is cooked, remove the water
- Add the bacon and the cheese/egg mixture to the pasta. The eggs will be cooked only with the heat of the pasta and the bacon!
I wonder if there are more recipes that differ in Germany from the Italian original. It would therefore be nice to go on a kind of food-travel through Italy: skip the big cities and their tourist traps with overpriced food and visit small Italian villages to get to know the real Italian kitchen with good wine every day. That truly is la dolce vita!